How to Negotiate a Great Deal when Buying a Classic Car or Truck
August 21st, 2015
It's easy to negotiate a great a deal when buying a classic or collector car or truck. The key is to make sure you have all the facts ahead of time, and that you have a clear idea in your head of what the vehicle is worth to you.
Here are 5 questions to ask yourself to help prepare for negotiations:
- Do you have all the information about the vehicle that you need in order to negotiate confidently with the seller? If the answer is no, you need a pre-purchase inspection.
- Will there be any extra fees added to the sale price such as dealer fees or auction fees?
- Will there be any immediate costs to fix any damage or mechanical issues?
- Will you need to transport the vehicle and what will that cost?
- Has the seller priced the vehicle right? Check valuation tools and find out what other similar vehicles are selling for.
Once you have done your homework and have answers to the questions above, decide what you think the vehicle is worth to you and clearly identify your reasons why. Present this price to the seller and negotiate till you reach agreement.